Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fräulein arrives in Frankfurt

So it finally happened; I made it over to Germany. Moments before my plane landed, I stole a glimpse out of the window and noticed the orange-tiled roofs of Frankfurt become larger and less toy-like. Then it occurred to me. I'm really really going to belong to this country, and for an intimidating amount of time, nonetheless. Astute revelations aside, I managed to collect all 145 lbs of my luggage and find my Uncle Rolf, who met me outside the airport. Driving at 180 kilometers per hour to Altingen on the Autobahn was pretty sweet, albeit a little terrifying. Then again, your speed on the Autobahn goes mainly unnoticed because (in most stretches) there isn't a speed limit, plus, everyone else is going just as fast as you are. Also nice: slow drivers and truckers actually get out and STAY OUT of your way… which seems to be an inconceivable concept in the US.

My Aunt Erika and cousin Niklas greeted me at home. Niklas has gotten so tall since I last saw him 3 years ago. He's 8 yrs old and has a real dopey sense of humor that I thoroughly enjoy, even though it drives Erika up the wall. He's super tan from their vacation in Mallorca and got a couple highlights in his hair that he thinks are "super cool." Energetic, sweet, and devious, Niklas is a lot of fun to be around if you're looking for some mindless entertainment. He corrects my grammar every now and then and takes pride when I lovingly refer to him as "my little German teacher."

The four of us had lunch together and then my cousin Victoria came home from Kindergarten. Victoria is my goddaughter and turned 5 a couple of weeks ago. Don't let her adorable looks fool you; this girl is a moody little princess. If she doesn't get exactly what she wants, when she wants, she will scream and scream LOUD [Niklas calls her a "Zicke" behind her back… haha]. She loves the color pink and has beautiful long hair that Erika is always reminding her to keep out of her face.

Niklas and I played Wii for most of the afternoon- he's quite good! I have limited experience with Wii, but I have a feeling that after this week we'll have played so much that I'll be a pro. It's great because we can both have fun and it really facilitates conversation. Rolf's mother, Rosa, stopped by for coffee and cake. We spent the rest of the afternoon playing games and keeping me awake. We had a typical German dinner of coldcuts, pretzels, and cheese. I ended up going to bed around 9:30 because my body eventually realized how tired it actually was.

In the morning I went on a long run (my first run since my bike accident!) through a bunch of fields. It's a strange, albeit wonderful feeling to go for a jog without having to fear being run over. Instead, I feared getting lost… turn left by the corn, right by the beets… I have a terrible sense of direction but managed to navigate my way back.

For lunch we drove over to Nagold to see my Opa and Magdushneni. Opa never really has anything to say, except when he complains about his various ailments, and Tante Magda has even less to say, considering that her primary language is Hungarian. We had lunch, and then Niklas, Victoria and I hung out in their tiny backyard, having a "Top Model" photoshoot. The kids got a kick out of using my camera and taking pictures. For dessert Tante Magda made my favorite, Spatzemilch, which is a sweet, thick, custard-like drink with eggwhite foam floating cloud-like on top.

So far, I'm having a great time. Just spending time talking to the kids in German is helping my speaking become more confident and fluid.

Niklas is begging me to get off the computer and come play with him; I think I'll oblige him. J

Tschüß!

2 comments:

kimber said...

O Gretel i miss you...so sorry i missed your party. I want Spetzel treats!
Love, Kimber

MOM said...

Hey Kiddo,

I'm glad you're getting to know your little cousins again. It's smart of you to bounce your German off Niklas. Tell your aunt I said she should speak German with you as well.
I'm happy your knee is getting better and please try not to get lost among the cabbages during your jogs!
Miss you and love you,
MOM